Saturday, May 14, 2011

All Because of a Bag: A Story


It was a frosty Tuesday morning, and I was on my way to the synagogue. Things had held me up at home, and I left the house some time later than usual.

Out of the corner of my eye, a noticed a couple walking. The bag they were holding got my attention: It was covered in Hebrew writing.

I introduced myself, and, it transpired, that this couple had lived in Israel for a long time. They returned to Chernigov when the husband's father became ill. He passed away after some time, but their son was comfortable in Chernigov and did not want to return to Israel. They remained in Chernigov, visiting Israel from time to time.

They were thrilled to meet, and we talked about the Jewish opportunities here: children's programing, synagogue, classes.

I told them that this meeting really was divinely inspired, as I usually am out walking much earlier. It was only because I noticed the bag, I told them, that I approached them.

"I was not planning on taking the bag today", replied Michael, the husband. "In fact, I had already left the house without it. On second thought, though, on my wife's urging, I went back in to get it."

Sometimes even a plastic bag can be G-d's messenger.

No comments:

Post a Comment